Thursday, April 03, 2014

AUNT MARGARET

Our cousin JoAnn called me a little while ago, this morning, and said Aunt Margaret, her mother, had died at 3:01 A.M. today. My first thought was I didn't get to go see her. She had asked for me. JoAnn said, no regrets. I am glad that the last time I saw her, she was her sweet, smiling, kind, gentle self, and knew me then. We had some good visits together when I would be in Panama City. She was a strong, beautiful lady. She was a huge influence in my life when I was a teenager, and took me under her wing. She was 90 years old, last November. JoAnn was her sole caretaker, nursing home notwithstanding, and they took great care of her there. JoAnn was devoted to her, as we should be to our mothers, and was with her almost every day of the week, usually eating lunch with her, providing little holiday favors and happies, helping with group parties, making her feel special. She was special. Another thought I had was, "Pollyanna" and "Summer Magic," for I know Aunt Margaret took me to see one or both of these movies. Always looking on the bright side. And she was ready and prepared to go. Her body was worn out and she had not been able to get out of bed for some time. The last of their family of siblings; the oldest of them.

Her 90th birthday.



 Her 88th birthday, which Sher and I were fortunate enough to help celebrate, 2011.



Around Halloween, 2010, I think. One of my first trips to Sher's.

With her best friend for decades, Irene. They worked together when Aunt Margaret lived in Memphis.

Margaret, Mama, Shirley, ca 1941.

Margaret, Mama, Shirley... They all look so happy! Especially Mama!

Funny - Same order... Margaret, Mama, Shirley.

Aunt M and her son, cousin Danny, probably late 1970's. She was a beautiful woman, black hair, olive complexion, the Indian ancestry evident.

No comments: